Thursday, April 24, 2014

Studio notes

Tuesday night was very productive. 

  • I recycled some white stoneware from the studio recycling bin. I wedged it into 4 pound balls and let it sit for a week. It was a little soft, and I couldn't get more than a 2-lb ball to throw from it. However, I have about 12 pieces from Tuesday night, three yarn bowls and the rest all medieval dishes and cups. 
  • Put out some red stoneware from the studio recycling bin to start on Garick's aquamanile. 
Wednesday night was good too.
  • Trimmed and started carving first raku "pinecone" vase. I had to stop when the work became uncomfortable, but am likely to be well over half done with the vase. 
  • Glazed 3 medieval pieces for the ^6 salt reduction firing. Used ^6 glaze on all, but I'm told that the ^10 glazes will mature in that firing as well. More matte effect. Glazed interior only of a cup, plate, and bowl. If I don't like them, they go into the wood firing next weekend. 
  • Tuesday night's pieces are tightly wrapped and still wet. Expecting to trim all medieval pieces tonight. 
From this past weekend's firing



No comments:

Post a Comment