Saturday, February 22, 2014

Medieval dishes

Four medieval dishes currently in process.


At greenware, they are all about 8" in diameter and vary from 1"to 3" in high, wheel-thrown from Laguna Clay B-mix for wood and salt firings. I expect 13% shrinkage.

The form is the typical wide funnel, with minimal decoration. They reach have a horizontal lip that I tried to form in such a way that there's a good grip. We'll know when they're actually strong enough to pick up that way. Although they were intended for this weekend's firings, I couldn't get them done in time. The next wood/salt firing is May 1. I hate to have to hold on to them for another six weeks, but there's not a lot of point in putting them into anything but those. I'll be doing a bunch more in regular stoneware in the meantime.
As the profile shots show, the walls are not quite symmetrical. Although I feel like I'm doing well in creatingng forms, centering stll seems to be my biggest challenge.

Other than making more of these - lots more - I want to add some embellishments. Extant dishes show stamped dots around the rim. Time to make some stamps...

No comments:

Post a Comment