Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Studio notes - 2/11

No throwing yet - I still have an abrasion on my left pinky that I'm insisting must heal. Com'on callouses!


  • Put a handle on lantern v.2. All wrapped up to allow moisture levels to even out. Thursday - cut the crescents/holes. I may make a brief visit to the studio tomorrow to turn it up on its foot, because I'm worried about it sagging while sitting on its face. 
  • 2 pots on the shelf designated for a sagger firing. They're going to both have a terra sigillata surface, but must dry first. I have a roll of copper wire which I plan on spiraling inside the cache pot and outside the vase for the sagger. They will be quite dry enough for terra sigillata application by Thursday, and then need to go in a  ^08 bisque. The claybody is raku. Had a decent experience trimming the foot of both of these, although they were a bit beyond leather hard. 
  • Trimmed up a couple bloody funnel cups - they're still too thick at the base!! Back to the wheel! <mutters>
  • Clay recycling - I'm currently using 4 (I think) different clays. Being cheap, I am trying to recycle everything that doesn't end up in a bisque firing. This includes throwing slurry, because I don't want to dink with the claybody composition any more than I can help it. However... this is taking up a lot of space and I need more. I haven't even opened the bag of stoneware that is specifically made for a wood or salt firing that's happening late this month. Or the bag of porcelain. 
  • Found out that the student show/sale is in late April - I was thinking June! I want to get about a dozen items in it - including a couple of puzzle boxes. Must accelerate my pace; planning on spending Sat and Mon in the studio this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment